checksum/disk theories?

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 15:32:20 UTC 2009

On Thursday 22 of October 2009 03:44:49 John Summerfield wrote:
> Karel Voln wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 of October 2009 01:44:13 Tom Horsley wrote:
> >> I have the f12 Beta dvd images run through "split -b 1G" on
> >> a vfat usb stick. For both the i36 and the x86_64 images
> >> when I do something like this:
> >>
> >> cat Fedora-12-Beta-x86_64-DVD.isoa* >
> >>  ~/Fedora-12-Beta-x86_64-DVD.iso
> >>
> >> The sha256sum -c fails on the resulting file :-(. (The
> >>  checksums checked OK on the original files I downloaded).
> >
> > something like that happened to me too ...
> >
> > I needed to copy a really huge file via ssh over slow
> > Internet connection, that got disconnected from time to time
>
> I expect that if you can use ssh, you can also use rsync. With
>  suitable options (and they are legion), rsync will happily
>  resume and, if you exercise some skill, repair large files.

don't know ... can it run over ssh tunnel?

oh forget the question (I can RTFM anyway) ... I've resolved the
issue in another way

I just wanted to share the story so that Tom knows he's not alone
with such a problem and he does not need to suspect his hardware
but rather split

> Don't use checksum on a public server you don't own, I was
>  discussing this with Jason from planetmirror one time and
>  apparently it can kill the server.

also good to know ;-)

K.