[Test-Announce] Graphics Test Week (ATI, NVIDIA and Intel graphics Test Days)

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 11 04:15:41 UTC 2009

On 09/10/2009 09:10 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 08:49 -0600, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/2009 03:26 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it is now that legendary time, well loved by the hearts of men for
>>> millennia(*): Graphics Test Week!
>>>
>>> Tomorrow - 2009-09-09 - is ATI/AMD Radeon graphics card Test Day (1).
>>>

>> Using 2009-09-09 ISO, when passing 'radeon.modeset=1' as boot param, I
>> get "Unknown boot option 'radeon.modeset=1'. Ignoring..."
>> Is that expected?
>>

> (sending to all lists as this is #1 Top Question...)
>
> Yes, it is. The 'science bit' is that the kernel itself truly doesn't
> understand the parameter, which is why you see this message - but the
> radeon. prefix means it gets automatically passed on to the radeon
> module, which _does_ understand (and interprets) it.
>
> Personally I consider this a kernel bug, it shouldn't display this
> message for parameters which will be passed to modules.

Thanks to all who responded with explanation. This indeed is confusing
and I agree with you that this deserves a "bug" status...

> radeon.modeset=1 is a no-op, though, modesetting is now default for
> Radeon chips. So only radeon.modeset=0 (to disable it) makes any sense.
> Did I leave radeon.modeset=1 in one of the test cases?

Errr... I thought I saw it there yesterday but I might be wrong (I have
taken a not of this the day before). I can't see it anywhere today.

BTW: my test report on wiki.

--
thufor