Some problems after most recent "yum update" in F12 alpha

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Sep 12 16:14:27 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 September 2009 11:45:05 Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2009, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > I'm running F12 alpha inside VirtualBox. After a "yum update" tomorrow
> > having problems with the X-server if rebooting my box:
> >
> > X starts until some point. Then I get a login screen, but when I type
> > in my username and password I get a blank screen with a spinning
> > cursor never ending. No desktop is started. Seems to be a Xserver problem
> > with the Vbox graphics adapter.
> >
> > Then I tried "yum downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg", but this was rejected
> > with the message that only updates are possible, but no downgrades.
> >
> > No "yum downgrade <package>" in F12 alpha?
> >
> > Somebody made similar experiences?
>
> what was the complete message you got from yum? Please cut and paste what
> it said on the screen.

I suspect that the problem is that no "downgrade" package is available.

By default, the only *.repo enabled is the one pointing to
/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os/ and this has a
"rolling/continuous" set of updates with older versions of packages deleted.

I suspect that for development, an additional repo needs to be enabled
pointing to
/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/<testing_release>/Fedora/$basearch/os/

This would allow for downgrading to a package as available with the
distribution at the time of announcement.

An alternate would be to keep (not delete) "old" packages when those packages
are updated in rawhide which (i suspect) would consume a lot of disk space
which is likely the reason that it is not done.

Gene