Upgrade yesterday killed my installation

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Sep 25 00:24:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 01:38:33PM +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> I get segment errors from init[1].  Gdb, on the
> generated core files says that the command was either /sbin/init
> --restart ......   or /sbin/init --rescue.

How you are getting to cores?  Does that mean that you can boot?
If yes then replace /sbin/init by a working version.

> I have three dracut versions
> of the kernel on my system, they all exhibit the problem.

You can use 'mkinitrd' to generate "old-style" initrd.

> 1) for me, how do I recover without doing a re-install.

See above.  You can boot with 'init=/bin/bash' on a boot line.
What will start will be minimal but should be enough for recovery.

   Michal