QA test for L10N

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 19:49:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 09:25 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> James Laska さんは書きました:
> > On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 12:24 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> >> For F13, something like
> >> Done :-)
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:L10n_Test_Cases
> >>
> >> This is still incomplete, and I wish everyone to have a look and
> >> complete this list and to add any idea. I meant 'built status' is if
> >> package was built by specified date.
> >
> > Greetings Noriko,
> >
> > Typically, the category wiki pages are mostly a method for organizing
> > related content on the wiki.  So for the [[Category:L10n_Test_Cases]],
> > you might use that to organize different wiki test case pages that have
> > instructions for the l10n testing.  For other examples, take a look at
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:I18n_Test_Cases or
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Installer_Test_Cases.  These
> > pages aren't used for posting test results, just for grouping related
> > wiki pages together for easier future navigation.
>
> Hi James,
> I doubt if translators need further instructions. The one created worked
> so far for F12 internally. But this is just incomplete and need a help
> to improve. Once translators know how to get gui, they know what they
> want to see or check.

Is this page available on fp.org/wiki somewhere?  It certainly doesn't
have to be in the [[Template:QA/Test_Case]] format, just something so
that it's clear what work the team _is_ (and isn't) doing.

> The idea I draw in my mind is that one wiki page to be created per
> release, as packages to test may increase/decrease. This is just idea
> and can be improved in anyway.

I see.  So if I understand correctly, eventually you might have the
following set of pages?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_l10n_Results
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_14_l10n_Results
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_15_l10n_Results

> > It seems like you've already started outlining how you wish to gather
> > test results.  Way to get a head start!  For that, I might recommend
> > creating a test results wiki page (or pages) similar to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_Install_Results_Template.
> > Good news is that you already have the content for this page ... it's
> > just in the wrong spot.  I've moved the content you created into a new
> > page ...
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_13_l10n_Results_Template.  Hope
> > that helps.
> >
> > From here, one way I could see you proceeding is ...
> >
> >      1. Start defining some basic test cases to guide testers.  Be sure
> >         to link any created test case pages into [[Category:L10n Test
> >         Cases]]
> >      2. When testing starts, create a wiki page for each test run (e.g.
> >         Test_Results:Fedora 13 L10n Alpha Test Results]].  Results will
> >         be posted to this page, not your template.
> >
> > Some of this is touched on by two of our existing SOP's [1][2], but if
> > this is a process you'd like to repeat throughout the release (and
> > future releases), I'd recommend taking your instructions above and
> > creating a new [[SOP L10n Test Management]].
>
> There are two goals for this review process. One is to have a chance to
> review own work of translation in GUI and check the quality. Second is
> to check if latest translation done reflected in the package. In short
> frame of one week, we filed loads of bugs last time for second goal.
> Those bugs push the thing forwards. Honestly I like to avoid to create
> too much wiki pages specially in that period. But I am happy to create
> any page required.

As I'm understanding the work involved, I don't think you'll need a
*lot* of pages.  Just a high-level page to describe the
workflow/process, a place to record results, and possibly a template for
use with future test efforts.  Speaking as someone not directly
involved, it's nice to have some basic content available so folks on the
outside have an idea how the testing is being performed ... and if
desired, how to get involved.

> What I am really looking for is "nightly compose of 2010-03-05"
> available during 2010-03-08 to 2010-03-16 from QA team. With separate
> thread, yet installation media request comes up for reviewing.

I gather those dates are from task#13 on the Translation schedule [1]?

The QA team doesn't provide/build the compose images, that is a service
provided by release engineering.  Looking at the dates you mention, the
current F-13 QA schedule [2] shows that F-13-Alpha will be available for
translation testing at that time.  Additionally, there are nightly
rawhide live images available [3] if testing against more recent updates
is desired.

Thanks,
James

[1]