Annoucement: New translation status page is installed

Bernd Groh bgroh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 04:21:17 UTC 2004

Youcef Rabah Rahal schrieb:

>On Thursday 24 June 2004 01:45, Bernd Groh wrote:
>

>>And that should be reason for me to disable this persons access? Because
>>you don't know him?
>>

>What's the point of having a coordinator if he/she has no control over the
>team ? :)

Being a coordinator isn't about having control, or is it now? ;)

> Anyone can come, take over a module and commit. We are already
>translating many projects: KDE, GNOME, Debian, Mandrake... and we need to
>keep consistency and do quality control (please visit arabeyes.org for more
>info). So yes, knowing who is translating what is absolutely needed.

Completely agree.

>>So far, you've only told me you don't know him, you haven't told me that
>>this person is producing bugs you need to fix, and how should I know if
>>you don't tell me? Is that the case? Is that person actually messing up
>>translations and producing 'bugs'? If so, let me know, and I'll have a
>>word with him, and if required disable his access. But I'm not going to
>>do that just because you don't know him.
>>

>Sorry, seems like there's a misunderstand here. I didn't say the person is
>producting bugs, I called 'bug' the fact that I clicked on dist.po and found
>his name there, without knowing how it arrived there :-)

Well, it arrived there, because this person clicked on [Take], and no,
it is not a bug. :)

> What I said is that
>he never paticipated nor he is paticipating so why his name should be there ?
>(please take a look at the PO headers).

Given that he has taken a module, I'd say he *is* participating. And as
Behdad said, PO-Headers aren't all conclusive, but even if that person
had never done any translations before, why say he can't? What is wrong
with somebody wanting to participate?

>If I understand well, i won't be able to commit as long as he is the
>'Translator', right ? I'll probably have to commit by the end of this week,
>as I usually do (sync'ing repositories). So I won't be able to do so then ?

You won't be able to commit dist (or specspo), but you can commit
everything else. Have you already translated dist? If so, let Sherif
know, and ask him to release the module, I'm sure he'd be helpful. If
you chose not to do so, I am not going to help you. I am not going to
kick him off, just because you don't know him, as I've stated previously.

>>If you are the coordinator, and hold the majority of commits, then you
>>do have the option of becoming a maintainer. If you chose to do so, you
>>are in a position to release the module from the current translator and
>>make it available again. If you want to put yourself into that position,
>>that is fine with me, but *I* am not going to disallow somebody to
>>participate, because somebody else doesn't know him (or her for that
>>matter). Question remains, do you know for a fact that this person is
>>producing 'bugs'?
>>

>Yep, I am the coordinator. And I did not do the majority of commits but _all_
>of them (there was 7 strings translated when we started, proably some tests).

You did all of the commits, but I assume not all of the translations,
or? So why do you believe you have the right to say that Sherif cannot
do any Arabic translations? Why don't you, even after I told you you
should, send him an email, but instead tell me that him translating the
module is a 'bug' and I should fix it? It is not a bug, he's an Arabic
translator, just like you. He might not have known there is a very
active Arabic group, he might not even be subscribed to this mailing
list, so, why not email him and ask him to participate in your group?
IMO, that's what a coordinator should do. On a side note, do you believe
the other arabic translators get enough credit?

>I sent a request to become the maintainer. I hope I'll have an answer
>soon :-) If that resolves the problem then OK. What about the 'human factor'
>though ? I mean, everyone (or the majority) on this list know that I'm the
>coordinator of the Arabic translation. Even if I don't post often on the
>list, I send updates from time to time (when we started translation, when we
>did a good deal of work, when we asked for inclusion in FC2...). Everything
>is in the mailing list archives, in the PO headers, in the CVS logs...

So? Does that mean you decide on who is allowed to contribute to the
Arabic translations and who isn't?

>For me, that human factor should facilitate resolving such issues, rather than
>dealing with an automatic interface. If someone is publicly known to be the
>coordinator, so why should he/she go through all this process ?

I didn't know you were the Arabic coordinator,  neither it seems like
Sherif or Behdad knew, who happen to speak Arabic. And if Behdad would
chose to take a module and participate, I believe that he should be able
to. Or would you disagree?

>Can anyone please confirm ? :-) Sarah ?

We can confirm that you have been very involved in the project, and we
may chose to make you the maintainer for Arabic. But if we'd to hear
that you won't let other Arabic translators participate, because you
don't know them, we may chose other people as maintainers. Coordination
is not about excercising control of who is doing what and how, it is
about coordinating the efforts of everyone who is willing to
participate. If you're not even willing to send Sherif an email, but ask
me to 'remove' him, really, I don't know whether that's what is meant by
being a coordinator.

On a last note, if you'd want to argue that I excercise some level of
control, it's true, and I use it to make sure as best as I can that
everyone who wants to participate can.

Best Regards,
Bernd