What's the future for translation inside the FP ?

Xavier Conde Rueda xavi.conde at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 09:22:29 UTC 2007

Hi all,

2007/6/7, Chester Cheng <ccheng at redhat.com>:
> Xavier Conde Rueda wrote:
> >> Any other ideas / wishes?
> >
> > Here my wishlist:
> >
> > 1. Automatically update PO and POT files. This should be handled as in
> > Gnome, were translations are updated twice a day. This shouldn't be a
> > work for translators, since you need the whole source code to
> > regenerate an up to date POT.
> .po files are automatically updated every 6 hours for some months.

Indeed, sometimes PO files are outdated. As I said before, I think the
problem is outdated POT, not outdated POs. So it may be caused by
incorrect build systems:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2007-May/msg00007.html

> > 2. Allow to checkout by language only. Currently you have to checkout
> > the whole module with all the translations; it will be important to
> > make it easy to checkout just my language files.
> This has been discussed for long.  The problem here, from what I heard,
> is that CVS doesn't support symlinks.  Does anyone know how to solve this?

Ok, I'm thinking on it right now and I don't have a simple clue :( .
Maybe it can be worked around with a script on the client side, that
parses the available modules on the repository and checks out the
locale.po and the template.pot. Sure somebody did it; if not, I can
give it a try.

> > 3. Make it easier to obtain cvs rights to cvs.fp.o. Personally I found
> > there was too much bureaucracy in order to be added to the cvsdocs
> > group just for translating the documentation; I wish it gets easier to
> > be added to the cvs group for translation.
> You are talking about docs translation.  For Fedora software translation,
> there are not any change yet.  We are working on new infrastructure to
> make things easier, such as single sign-on for Fedora software translation
> and other services (e.g. Bugzilla).

That's great, I was afraid the process was going to be as complicated
as for docs; for me all this bureaucracy doesn't reflect the opennes
of the Fedora project. Thanks.

Also, another wish:

N) Consolidate all the existing pages about how to obtain an account,
how to checkout translations, how to register on docs, how to contact
package mantainers.

Regards.

--
Google talk/Jabber: xavi.conde a gmail.com