Wiki Banner L10N

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Mar 21 00:55:43 UTC 2007

Hey all.

I'd like to share my thoughts on Wiki page banners/headers. This includes the
Artwork and L10N efforts.

First of all, I'd like to say the idea for per-team banners is a very good one
and the proposed ones look *great*. It helps avoid user dis-orientation. Two
minor issues:

 1. It's good to consider having a consistent and global way to define and
re-use such elements. For this, I suggest to put every re-usable element under
/WikiElements and decide on *one* way to print these out. Probably using the
`Include(From, to)` syntax and maximize the use of CSS.

 2. Have the banners following the page H1 heading, not before it. We already
have two full-width headers: the wiki global one and the H1 for each page. We
might need to decide using *banners* for each project instead of headers,
followed by a navigation box. For an example, see:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/WikiPageTemplate

The appearance can be greatly improved with CSS. Also, the Project Banner can be
integrated in the box to save space and code. Anything wider than 250px wide
unfortunately makes the text too narrow in 1024 resolution.

For some other CSS tricks, please refer to:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/Sandbox

In the quest for code re-use, I suggest to use as much as possible the
`Include()` command, so that we can make changes across pages and before
applying a multi-page change, to discuss it. Editing a huge amount of pages is a
nightmare, as experienced by some of us the last days. :)

Also, when we apply such a change we should consider all Projects at the same
time. For example, get comments from SCo leaders about their needs and design
banners for those projects too.

My .02.

-d

O/H Diego Búrigo Zacarão έγραψε: