F9 Countdown Translation

Christian Rose menthos at menthos.com
Mon Apr 7 20:17:50 UTC 2008

On 4/7/08, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:33:34AM +0300, Alexandru Szasz wrote:
>  > There are about 9 letters available for "Launch" and for "days". And
>  > "Launch" doesn't have to be necessarily be "Launch" when translating,
>  > it could be "Out in x days", so I think there's a possibility to
>
>  This also doesn't work for some languages. The 'x' changes the days word in
>  at least some Celtic languages and singular/plural is itself a non portable
>  idea in others (eg zero is plural form in English, singular in many languages,
>  all number forms are singular in some languages etc)
>
>  In x days is one of those things where it is best to either use
>
>  "Days to go:"
>
>  type formats or offer a lot of complete strings

This is indeed a big problem for many languages that have several plural forms.
If you want to keep the "Released in %d days" wording, there's no way
around using ngettext on the string (and using po files), and
producing the svg using the result from that. This whole problem was
the very reason ngettext was invented.

Christian