Steering Committee formation

Bart Couvreur couf at skynet.be
Fri Feb 29 19:55:00 UTC 2008

Op woensdag 27-02-2008 om 12:25 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Paul W.
Frields:
> Most if not all of the subprojects in Fedora follow the guidelines
> established by the Board for defining projects, found here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects

Right, and we have been trying that as much as possible (imo).

> I'm not a big fan of organization just for organization's sake, if it
> stops people from being able to get things done.
>
> But steering committees in subprojects are *good* for a number of
> reasons, including identifying tasks, getting assignments made, and
> tracking progress.  A steering committee serves as a central
> communication point between all the members of a subproject, other
> subprojects, and the Fedora Project Board.  It also provides a unified
> voice and opportunities for solid decision making, empowering community
> leaders the contributors themselves identify and elect.

Agreed

> I encourage the L10N (Translation) Project to start talking about an
> L10N Steering Committee.  I also encourage interested community members
> to step up and serve as committee members to better organize and
> communicate about all the great work that's being done in L10N.

I think we're in the stage that this can really get some traction. We've
been trying to do some sort of regular meeting so that wouldn't be all
that different.

The only drawback I have here is that the L10N project is pretty much
divided into dozens of small parts (the teams), and that the SCo would
mostly be handling infrastructural things. But then again this could
that the different teams start to communicate more in the project, which
is always good. (just my $0.02)

> Thanks to all contributors here for your hard work and incredible
> progress in making Fedora available to users worldwide!
+1000

But anyway: if we want to form an SCo, let's just do it. People
interested: raise your hand!!

Bart

--
Bart <couf at fedoraproject.org> <couf at skynet.be>
key fingerprint: 6AAB 544D 3432 D013 776D  3602 ADB6 6B2A D93F 0F93