F10 Release Notes PO files

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 12:28:32 UTC 2008

2008/11/6 Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at redhat.com>:
> Magnus Larsson さんは書きました:
>>
>> It doesn't destroy it. If it did, you would have to re-translate all
>> strings, every time you update a POT file...
>> One thing to be careful about is the msgmerge and msgfmt commands. They
>> will
>> destroy your po files if it cannot merge. So I wrote a simple script to
>> "backup" my po file before I merge it. Se below.
>>
>> The only problem with updating the POT file, is when you update too early
>> (not completely finished release notes). Then translators will translate
>> things that maybe will be deleted in later versions and waste time. So I
>> say, if the doc is almost finished (and only minor fixes are made) then
>> update the POT file as often as possible.
>
> I found (I think) that Transifex does not warn any conflict but accept the
> commit, thus it can override latest file with older file.
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=docs/release-notes.git;a=history;f=po/ko.po;h=f735a3c67bc60dd37cfe55fa79bf063689555cd7;hb=HEAD

If I commit with an older file, it will replace the new one.
But the new one was obtained from merging the .po file with the .pot file.
So, in the next merge of the .po file with the .pot file, the new
strings will appear again.
The only lost translation work would be the strings removed by the merge.

Domingo Becker