Publican combined PO files like install-guide

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Apr 18 21:18:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Sulyok Peti <sulyokpeti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to find a way to make the translation of the large PO file
> of the install-guide suitable for teamwork. So far, my idea is to get
> the translators download the small PO-s from the repository, then merge
> them into the large combined PO.

I think this would be a nice feature to have. That is, give
translators the option to chop a PO file in smaller chunks which are
easier to chew. Then upon submission of one of the chunks, it will
will be msgmerged with the whole PO file and committed.

Is there an msg* command to cat a PO file and get the first n messages?

These ideas are exactly the reason why I'd like us to have a plugin mechanism.

-δ

> For example: The translator downloads the
> Account_Configuration-common.po file from
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=docs/install-guide.git;a=tree;f=hu;h=704e7397f6c7da2200a0762bbeac76df338a21fa;hb=f11-tx
> translates it, sends it to the maintainer, who merges it like this:
>
> msgmerge -C Account_Configuration_common.po \
> docs-install-guide.f11-tx.hu.po install-guide.pot \
>> docs-install-guide.f11-tx.hu.po.new
>
> This can be repeated for several PO-s from different translators, and
> then the large PO can be uploaded via Transifex.
>
> The small PO files can also be extracted from the large combined PO as
> follows:
>
> msgmerge -C docs-install-guide.f11-tx.hu.po /dev/null \
> Account_Configuration_common.pot \
>> Account_Configuration_common.hu.po
>
> What do you think about this?
> Would this kind of functionality be useful in Transifex? I mean download
> a partial PO generated from a combined PO, and upload a partial PO
> merged into a combined PO.
>
> BR,
> Peti
>

> --