Release Notes errors 01-Oct

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 16:19:32 UTC 2009

2009/10/1 Ruediger Landmann <r.landmann at redhat.com>:
> On 10/01/2009 10:47 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 08:26:07AM -0300, Domingo Becker wrote:
>>

>>> We need a tool for checking these xml markups.
>>> Is there any?
>>>

>> I *believe* if you're doing translations yourself by checking out
>> stuff from the original tree (i.e. a clone of the repo), you can run
>> 'make test-xml-es-ES' to check the validity of the XML from the
>> translation.
>>

> Close -- 'make test-es-ES', /in theory/ anyway. Unfortunately, that doesn't
> actually work because Publican doesn't understand the big, merged PO files
> that translators are working with. Translators would need to split the
> single, big PO files to refresh Publican's many little PO files and /then/
> run the test.
>
> A few months back, I documented the procedure in a post here to f-t-l: see
> [1] and a slight correction [2]. It's certainly achievable, but only for the
> brave :)

:-)   LOL

Thank you Ruediger and Paul.

I tried to be that brave this morning.

I installed publican and publican-fedora, and I took a look at
Makefile.templates file, from where the target test-LANG comes from.
It builds from xml, which should be first constructed from several po
files that comes from the big es.po file.
I didn't remember Ruediger posts to split the big po file, so I stopped there.
The check made by publican is a complete xml test.

But to submit translations file, we need a simpler test that only
checks for xml/html tags in msgstr strings. If there is a <tag> there
should be a </tag>. Malformed tags like "<tag" shouldn't be accepted,
and characters "<" and ">" should be escaped for po files to be used
with tools like publican. Just that, perhaps in poEdit or other l10n
tool. And leave the semantic checking to Publican's test-LANG target.
It seems there is no such a tool.
But it would help a lot to new translators.
If it's not difficult to do, it may be a command line tool to check a
po file before submission in Transifex, for files to be used in
Publican-like tools (a new field in the project's record in the
database to indicate that it's necessary to do that check before
accepting the file).

I will try again later.

kind regards

Domingo Becker (es)