some issues in docs.fedoraproject.org

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue Oct 6 06:56:31 UTC 2009

(Repeating some comments because I just realised that this morning I
replied only to the docs-list, not to trans-list as well... and merging
some of your comments from two separate emails)

On 10/06/2009 06:15 AM, Domingo Becker wrote:
> The new docs.fp.o interface seems to be faster than the later one to
> reach an online book.

Thanks! :) Congratulations go to Ryan Lerch for the fantastic redesign :)

> But some translations seems to have got lost in the process of the
> move from the old interface.

No books were actually changed; only the main index page. Therefore, any
errors in any books were already there. In the case of the Installation
Guide, since 19 June [1]; and in the case of the Installation Quick
Start Guide, since 6 August [2].

> The books are:
>
> 1. Installation Guide for F11
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html-single/
>
> 2. Installation quick start guide for F11
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/installation-quick-start-guide/f11/es-ES/html-single/
>
> The strings with no translations are some of the index

Entries in the indexes of Publican books come directly from the titles
of chapters and sections; entries appear in English in the index of the
Spanish books because, unfortunately, they also appear in English in the
chapters and sections themselves: for example, look at the headings on
these pages:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html/s1-langselection-x86.html

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html/ch07s12.html

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html/sn-networkconfig-fedora.html

These missing strings are sadly the result of the complicated process
that we must follow at the moment to merge all of Publican's many small
PO files together into one big PO file for Transifex, then splitting the
big PO file back into many small PO files to build in Publican. Let's
look at the first example: "7.11. Language Selection"

Here is the XML file that holds the English title:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/install-guide.git?p=docs/install-guide.git;a=blob;f=en-US/Language_Selection_common-title.xml;h=5e94d8ec79f5f3b39000f3dfe81f4da53ace95d2;hb=485b0213fdb3ce7433852ff64870fc0a8072d729

Publican transforms this whole XML file into a POT file ("make
update-pot"):
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/install-guide.git?p=docs/install-guide.git;a=blob;f=pot/Language_Selection_common-title.pot;h=22a75944da222d27af9782cd50f201fcb3ac51dc;hb=485b0213fdb3ce7433852ff64870fc0a8072d729

And then into a PO file for Spanish ("make update-po-es-ES"):
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/install-guide.git?p=docs/install-guide.git;a=blob;f=es-ES/Language_Selection_common-title.po;h=ee5def09d6442d5eeb4f79f372d0dffaad092114;hb=485b0213fdb3ce7433852ff64870fc0a8072d729
-- note that Publican has matched this string as a fuzzy with an
(incorrect) other string that it found elsewhere.

The Installation Guide contains several hundred separate PO files. To
make the book available in Transifex, we have to merge them together
into one big PO file. In the Docs project, we have been using (for
example) "msgcat -u -o es.po *.po" within Publican's es-ES directory to
prepare these big PO files.

However, for some reason, some strings get lost sometimes. If you look
at the es.po file generated with this method, you will see that this
string is missing:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/install-guide.git?p=docs/install-guide.git;a=blob;f=po/es.po;h=6f9c7c2c16711d9f4fc476e058d448721f47f052;hb=485b0213fdb3ce7433852ff64870fc0a8072d729
-- I would expect to find it around line 16096, but it isn't there... :(

Please file a bug against the Fedora 11 Installation Guide so that we
have a record that this happened.

If anyone knows of a more reliable method or tool to merge the many
small PO files into a single, big PO file, please say so!

I also seem to recall seeing problems in the other direction; some
strings that were translated in the big PO files were sometimes lost
while splitting them into many small PO files -- I can't think of an
example right now, but someone else might remember?

> and the common content.

As far as I can tell. the only part of the Common Content that ever
appeared in English was the Legal Notice, which always appears in
English, for legal reasons. Was there something else wrong?

On 10/06/2009 06:56 AM, Domingo Becker wrote:
> The new option "autostep --autoscreenshot" in the kickstart file would
> probably make it ease to get the localized screenshots included in the
> Install Guide.
>
> Don't hesitate to ask translators to get those screenshots.

Thanks! I'll probably need some of that help when the F12 Beta becomes
available.

> For Fedora 11 Install Guide they are all in English. We can improve that. :-)

Actually, no, the F11 Installation Guide screenshots were all localised
(to the extent that anaconda itself was). I remember taking something
like 60 screenshots per language in around 40 languages... Take a browse
through the test builds here:
http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation%20Guide/

Of course, the degree of localisation depends on the degree of
localisation in anaconda. For example, the text of this screen appears
in English:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html/ch07s12.html

But if you notice the "Atrás" and "Siguiente" buttons, you will see that
this is actually a Spanish installation of Fedora. Hopefully, this is
fixed in Fedora 12.... :)

Of course, with so many screenshots and so many languages, it's quite
possible I made some mistakes here and there. For example, I just
realised that I used the wrong screenshot for the "Keyboard selection"
screen in Spanish, and have fixed this -- the changes should appear on
the website the next time that the server synchronises with the docs
repo. If you notice any other wrong images, please let me know on f-t-l,
f-d-l, in email, or in a bug -- there are lots of ways to reach me ;)

Kind regards, and thank you, as always for the amazing work that you
guys do. Sorry that our tools are still letting you down sometimes.

Cheers

Ruediger

[1]
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewvc/web/html/docs/install-guide/f11/es-ES/html-single/index.html?root=fedora&view=log