[fedora-virt] clarifying the fedoraproject wiki "qemu/kvm" features page

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Apr 7 17:16:18 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i'd like to clarify a couple things here, if i might:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
>
>   first, given that that page refers to being 100% done WRT f11,
> should it represent *exactly* what i see on my current f11 beta
> system?  as in, no outstanding issues?
>
>   next, under "Detailed Description", point 5:
>
>   "The kvm package is obsoleted by qemu-kvm."
>
> can i assume that "qemu-kvm" is a typo as there appears to be no such
> package?  what *should* that say?  perhaps "qemu-kvm-tools?"
>
>   i have a few more questions about the merging of qemu and kvm but
> i'm going to have to think about those for a few more minutes.

Could it have been made more obscure?  So now we have to install three
qemu packages and three bios packages instead of qemu and kvm? That's
convenient! And what of the firmware for non-x86 machines, will that be
packaged in individual little bits as well?

Love the software, but the packaging appears inconvenient.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
    - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.