Re: [fedora-virt] qemu+kvm obsoletes kqemu?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

On 08.04.2009 12:37, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

p.s.  there *have* been unofficial packages for fedora:

   http://atrpms.net/dist/f10/kqemu/
FYI, RPM Fusion has (a)kmod-kqemu as well.

but it's easier to just say don't go there.
I tend to agreee, nevertheless , there are lots of Intels CPUs that
don't have VT and we don't have Xen in Fedora, so for some use-cases
on Desktops it might be nice (albeit VirtualBox might be the better
solution in a lot of those cases).

  so, just to clarify this (which i am wont to do relentlessly), if
you already have HW virtualization support (VT, AMD-V), kqemu is
utterly pointless.  on the other hand, if you *don't* have HW virt
support, kqemu will allegedly speed things up but it isn't, strictly
speaking, necessary.  in cases like that, it makes a difference only
in speed, not in functionality. is that about right?

The difference in speed is the difference between "interesting only as a proof of concept" and "about 20-30% slower than native mode" if I read the reports and my notes correctly from back when kqemu was new. The difference in functionality is the difference between useful and interesting, so for many machines it matters. Of course you can go to a distribution which supports xen and do it that way, I guess.

Is there kqemu for x86_64? I see all these ultra-cheap Celeron based machines with 64 bit but no VM, and it would be great to be able to run a few small servers on such a machine.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen tmr com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
   - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.