Re: [fedora-virt] qemu user emulation test package, and is GUEST_BASE broken?

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
Hi Robert,

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:50 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
moving on, i'm continuing to document QEMU on f11 here:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU_on_Fedora_11

and i have (unsurprisingly) a couple of questions.

Interestingly, a lot of what you're documenting here is quite the
opposite to what we want "Fedora virtualization experience" to be e.g.:

- Users shouldn't necessarily need to know what QEMU is - using virt-manager and virsh more or less makes what hypervisor is
    underneath not terribly important

The problem is that all these tools are designed to hide the details from the casual user, but they wind up making use of the details difficult or impossible for someone who is trying to actually use some of the nifty features in KVM (as an example).
- We'd recommend people do "yum install Virtualization" rather than manually installing individual RPMs

- We don't see "user emulation mode" as being very important - I'd really be very surprised if many people use it

- We think virt-manager is a much more useful tool for most people than qemu-launcher

It's only useful if what you want to do is have a human at a console launch and control virtual operations which are define at the time the human is doing the control. That's not always the case in a more complex environment, where it's sometimes desirable to do things from scripts or programs without a human in the loop.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen tmr com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
   - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.