[fedora-virt] Improving release / update process for virt packages

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 17:57:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 15:41 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> So in summary
>
>  - All new upstream releases built in rawhide
>  - New upstream releases also built in stable preview branch if possible
>  - Only bugfixes built in stable updates/updates-testing branch
>  - In exceptional circumstances, rebase for preview branch can be
>    built to updates/updates-testing after alot of positive testing

Dan did a great job of laying out the process we intend using for
updates to virt packages going forward. Re-read it if you missed it the
first time:

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-April/msg00008.html

One thing we hadn't discussed until earlier this week is what to do
about current F9 and F10 updates.

We had pushed libvirt 0.6.0 (late January) and 0.6.1 (early March) to F9
and F10 updates-testing. Neither of these were ever pushed to stable
updates.

Packages aren't intended to live in updates-testing forever - it is
intended that a package gets pushed to stable after some testing, or
gets unpushed if its too unstable. If a package does linger in
updates-testing for too long, it prevents simple bugfix updates for the
previous version from being pushed in the mean time.

Since we weren't confident that pushing 0.6.1 to F9 and F10 stable
updates, we were left with no choice but to unpush it.

So in summary

  - libvirt 0.6.1 has been unpushed from F9 and F10 updates-testing

  - The latest version available in F9 and F10 updates is 0.5.1

  - We do not expect to push new versions to F9 and F10, only bug fix
    updates for 0.5.1

  - We are still planning on setting up a "preview" repository where
    the latest versions of virt packages from rawhide will be available
    to Fedora stable release users

Cheers,
Mark.