Re: [fedora-virt] Improving release / update process for virt packages

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 15:41 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

So in summary

 - All new upstream releases built in rawhide
 - New upstream releases also built in stable preview branch if possible
 - Only bugfixes built in stable updates/updates-testing branch
 - In exceptional circumstances, rebase for preview branch can be
   built to updates/updates-testing after alot of positive testing

Dan did a great job of laying out the process we intend using for
updates to virt packages going forward. Re-read it if you missed it the
first time:

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/2009-April/msg00008.html

One thing we hadn't discussed until earlier this week is what to do
about current F9 and F10 updates.

We had pushed libvirt 0.6.0 (late January) and 0.6.1 (early March) to F9
and F10 updates-testing. Neither of these were ever pushed to stable
updates.

Packages aren't intended to live in updates-testing forever - it is
intended that a package gets pushed to stable after some testing, or
gets unpushed if its too unstable. If a package does linger in
updates-testing for too long, it prevents simple bugfix updates for the
previous version from being pushed in the mean time.

Since we weren't confident that pushing 0.6.1 to F9 and F10 stable
updates, we were left with no choice but to unpush it.

So in summary

  - libvirt 0.6.1 has been unpushed from F9 and F10 updates-testing

  - The latest version available in F9 and F10 updates is 0.5.1

So the updates-testing stuff is just teasers and is never going to be generally available without a full update? And if some of our machines are on one version and some are on another we live with that, roll our own from FC11 source, or force downgrade?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen tmr com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
   - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.