[fedora-virt] customizing VMM on a per-user basis to use libguestfs?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Apr 21 16:10:31 UTC 2009

  is there a mechanism for customizing VMM settings on a per-user
basis?  i ask since i'd like to test guestfish and libguestfs on a
recently-created VM but, by default, new VM images are created in
/var/lib/libvirt/images, and that directory is not accessible to
non-root users.

  as a non-root user, if i was about to start working with VMs, i'd
like to be able to invoke "virt-manager" and, *before* creating any
VMs, set some config options, such as where my images are going to go
(ideally, in a personal images directory).  that would make those
images accessible to my account.

  but if i fire up "virt-manager", i can see "Edit" -> "Preferences"
but that doesn't allow me that kind of per-user configuration.  does
that kind of configuration even exist?  and, with those default
settings and permissions, how *would* one use libguestfs and guestfish
as a regular user?

  or am i once again missing something critical?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday