Re: [fedora-virt] In F11, still disable NetworkManager if bridging?

sean darcy wrote:

Initial info: all answers refer to KVM, GNOME, and no VMM. YMMV.

I've an xp virtual machine on qemu/kvm, F11. I'd like to be able reach
it over the network - for instance with NX. To do that, I'm trying to
set up bridged networking.  The howto at
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking says:

As of time of writing (Fedora 9) NetworkManager does not support
bridging, so it is necessary to disable it, and revert to "classic"
network initscripts

Still true? If not, how do you set up bridging on NM?

A small script can do it for you and will not interfere with NM operation (AFAIK - works for me).
Attach the NIC to the bridge.

A howto on setting up kvm networking on F9
(http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager)
and the ubuntu howto's talk about creating a tap interface. The
libvirt.org doesn't. Is a tap interface required/useful?

If the VM is a client and originates all connections, you don't need tap, and the outgoing IP will be the host, doing masquerade.
Do I need a physical network card for each bridged vm? Is this what
the tap interface is for?

Not that I can see, I have three servers and several test machines on a single bridge and it works fine.

And finally where does the kvm driver disk ( NETKVM-20081229.iso ) fit
in all this? Do I need to install it in the xp vm before I ...??

Also: I have done this on FC{6,9,10} but not FC11 yet, I simply don't have an extra machine with hardware VM which I can use at the moment. I lack the courage or need to try KVM under KVM.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen tmr com>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc

"You are disgraced professional losers. And by the way, give us our money back."
    - Representative Earl Pomeroy,  Democrat of North Dakota
on the A.I.G. executives who were paid bonuses  after a federal bailout.