Re: [fedora-virt] Assigning public static ip address to vm's.

On 08/21/2009 03:22 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Friday 21 August 2009 10:27:35 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>
>> New to virtualsation how does one go about disabling the default rfc1918
>> dhcp server ( or leave it running ) and manually assign a public ip
>> address to vm's?
>>
> I am also new to qemu-kvm virtualization.  I have been working out networking
> myself right now.
>
> I believe what you want/need is "bridged" networking interface which will
> allow putting your guest on your local network just like a "real" system.  See
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging
> for the process.  Don't worry, the changes will add the "br0" interface in
> place of the eth0 (or whatever) which your host will now use.  When you create
> a new guest (or add network hardware to an old one), you can specify the "br0"
> interface instead of the "default" NAT interface.
>
> Note -- there are ways to assign static IPs on the NAT interface but any guest
> using the NAT interface will not (cannot) be seen from another system.
>
> Gene
>
> __

Did that and fixed the rest ( which I had forgotten to configure ) after
a coup of coffee :)

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards
                      Jóhann B.
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg hi is
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801