Re: [fedora-virt] Running Gumstix Environment As A Virtual Machine?

On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 07:30:42PM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
Can the Gumstix computer-on-module environment be run as a virtual machine?

http://www.gumstix.com/

I am wondering if there is an easily installed VM for Gumstix that will
allow me to avoid buying the hardware while still being able to emulate
it's operation. In other words, I'm hoping to save some money by not
getting the Gumstix hardware till I really need it.
I thought this was unlikely, but a bit of searching reveals that there
are people doing this, eg:

http://gumstix.ecs.soton.ac.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Qemu
http://docwiki.gumstix.org/Gumstix_emulation_for_QEMU
http://www.bitmux.org/qemu.html

Of course, because Gumstix is ARM-based you won't be able to use
acceleration (KVM).  Plain QEMU seems like it will work.  Libvirt
won't know about the non-standard QEMU parameters (like -pflash) so
it's best to just use the qemu-system-arm command directly.

For help you should go directly to the resources suggested above.

Rich.

Thanks Rich! I'm going to work on this a bit in Fedora 12 and see if I can succeed with it. I really appreciate your thoughts. I played with qemu once when testing FreeDOS but never did any serious work with virtualization. I keep getting distracted.

Bob