[fedora-virt] Semi-OT: Running Windows 2000 guest with more than one vCPU using qemu-kvm.

Hello all,

I'm trying to run a 32bit Windows 2000 guest using qemu-kvm. (On a dual
Xeon E5335 workstation)
At least for, I rather use qemu-kvm directly and not libvirt. (I've got
a number of guest generation / management scripts that I don't have time
to convert to virtsh.)

If I start the guest with smp 1 and use the "ACPI Uniprocessor" HAL, the
qemu-kvm never eats more than 10-20% CPU when the guest is idle.

If I start the guest with smp 2 and use the "ACPI Multiprocessor" HAL,
the qemu-kvm eats ~110% (1.1 cores) even if the guest is fully idle.

I found a bugzilla entry (#479977) but it seems to suggest that the only
solution is enabling ACPI (which should be enabled by default).

Any idea what I can do next?

- Gilboa