Re: [fedora-virt] QEMU new Package

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:51:56PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 13:15 -0200, Glauber Costa wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:41:56AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > >   qemu-linux:
> > I believe qemu-user suits better upstream name usage. Other than that,
> > I think this proposal is sound.
>
> The reason I suggested qemu-linux is because I think QEMU's existing
> naming sucks :-)
>
> i.e. system/softmmu == "emulate a full machine" and user == "emulate the
> linux kernel ABI"
>
> system vs. linux makes it a little more sense, in my book.
I agree with you 150e^7 %. Another example of naming suckiness on upstream is
the fact that "qemu" stands for qemu-system-i386 on whichever platform you're on,
even on a rotten potato.

However, this is a reason for us to go upstream and suggest name changes. In the mean
time, adopting a different name ourselves will just make matters more confusing.

> > Also, there has been a proposal by ajax in #fedora-devel to have a "qemu-native"
> > package, that would install native emu/virt for whatever architecture you're running at.
> >
> > What do you guys think of this?
>
> As long it's just a Provides as danpb suggests, I don't mind ...
I believe this is a good suggestion because of kvm. Users using exclusively
kvm will probably want to grab native emulation, whatever it is. And for the
record, kvm ppc is completely merged in qemu.