[fedora-virt] bzImage dom0 kernel support in latest rawhide Xen packages

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Feb 4 16:23:02 UTC 2009

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 01:29:39PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>> Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
>>> [root at note ~]# file /boot/xen-3.3.gz /boot/xen/vmlinux /boot/xen/initrd.img /boot/xen/bzImage
>>> /boot/xen-3.3.gz:     gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Tue Feb  3 12:36:39 2009, max compression
>>> /boot/xen/vmlinux:    ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
>> "stripped".  This probably is the problem.
>>
>>> /boot/xen/initrd.img: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Wed Feb  4 12:00:01 2009, max compression
>>> /boot/xen/bzImage:    Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS, swap_dev 0x2, Normal VGA
>> Try this one instead of vmlinux (unstripped vmlinux should work too).
>
> Already tryed both of them. Stripped, unstripped vmlinux, gzip compressed
> vmlinux, bzImage. Always same problem.

Hmm.  Works for me.  x86_64 box boots up fine (until the not-yet fixed
storage issues kick in, see xen-devel).  Old i386 laptop has an early
kernel crash (probably due to lack of an io-apic, the pv_ops kernel
reportly can't deal with that very well).  The bootup passes the point
where the dom0 domain builder parses the guest kernel though.  32bit
config attached.

HTH,
  Gerd