[Fedora-xen] Re: [fedora-virt] bzImage dom0 kernel support in latest rawhide Xen packages

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 00:37:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:37:06PM +0100, Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
>> When trying to compile 2.6.29-rc3+xen, I need to turn off xen*frontentds
>> and xen*backend drivers have to be compiled into kernel, not as modules.
>> After this I have a functional kernel, but after booting with xen-3.3.gz, my
>> screen is blank.
>>

> I haven't gotten the pv_ops dom0 kernel VGA text console to work at all
> yet..
>
> I've been using serial console.

I have the VGA console printing boot messages from the kernel with the
configuration

title xen test
 	root (hd0,5)
 	kernel /xen-3.3.gz
 	module /vmlinuz-2.6.29-rc3-tip ro root=UUID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 single pci=nomsi maxcpus=1
 	module /initrd-2.6.29-rc3-tip.img

though it crashes before it gets as far as a prompt. This is x86_64.
However I have another machine that goes blank after the XEN output
(though I am not sure I have tried it with precisely the same options)
which is an i686. The difference might be nothing to do with the boot
options though, and could relate to graphics cards or precisely how
plymouth is set up.

 	Michael Young