[fedora-virt] Weekly virt status

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 17:49:39 UTC 2009

Hey,

I've started sending out a "Fedora Virtualization status report" to
folks at Red Hat to keep people informed about what's going on.

Dan Berrange suggested I send it here too ... not sure why I didn't
think of that myself.

Feedback or suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Fedora 11 Alpha Freeze happened this week, but unfortunately
things we in great shape. Wait, that's a good thing!

Well, things were in such great shape, there was going to be too big a
gap between the freeze and release, so rel-eng has decided to try the
freeze again next week. So it now looks like:

  2009-01-27 Alpha Freeze (4 days)
  2009-03-03 Feature freeze (39 days)
  2009-03-10 Beta Freeze (46 days)
  2009-04-14 Final freeze (81 days)

Alpha Freeze, Take 1
====================

We had a bunch of blockers to resolve before the freeze. Rawhide
installs had all sorts of issues, mainly in anaconda.

However, just because they're anaconda bugs doesn't let us off the
hook. Some of these were virt specific, and the existance of any of
these blockers meant that we weren't rigorous enough about testing and
filing bugs against rawhide. Hopefully we'll do better for the rest of
the release cycle.

Some of the anaconda blockers:

 rawhide anaconda stage1 x86_64 images missing virtio drivers
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480307

 anaconda loader crashes when configuring a network interface
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/479707

 rawhide anaconda vnc install failure
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480308

 No networking configured after rawhide kickstart install
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480769

And we had one fairly random libvirt blocker caused by a change in
chkconfig:

 libvirt default network not enabled at install time (chkconfig regression)
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480805

Alpha Freeze, Take 2
====================

Cole is working on new virt-manager and virtinst releases. Will we
make the freeze this time?

We didn't get the libvirt 0.6.0 release done this week, but maybe in
time for next Tuesday?

On the KVM side, we should aim to get a resolution either way for the
unsynchronized TSC issue:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/475598

Avi, Gerd, Glauber and Juan have all been actively looking at
this. Looks like we're close to a patch. But at this point, we need to
decide either to include the patch in the alpha or disable kvmclock
temporarily.

fedora-maint-list

and also add fedora-maint-list at redhat.com to your bugzilla watch list:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/userprefs.cgi?tab=email

If you want to filter these mails, try this:

  Sender is bugzilla at redhat.com
  X-Bugzilla-Reason is None
  X-Bugzilla-Watch-Reason contains fedora-virt-maint at redhat.com

That way you can keep them separate from mails sent because you were
directly cc-ed on a bug.

Tracker Bugs and Queries
========================

See this wiki page:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_bugs

We now have virt tracker bugs for F11:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=F11VirtTarget&hide_resolved=1
  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=F11VirtBlocker&hide_resolved=1

and also a bunch of pre-canned bugzilla queries for all the different
virt packages.

F11 Features
============

These features have been posted to the wiki:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtVNCAuth
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_PCI_Device_Assignment
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge

More drafts are in progress.

Fedora 10 Kernel
================

2.6.28 is coming soon to F10:

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-January/msg01302.html

An initial build is already in Koji if people want to give it some
early testing.

bugs
====

The page:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_bugs

has a bunch of bugzilla queries. I'll quote the number of open Fedora
virt bugs here from week to week to track progress.

DOOM-O-METER: 186 open bugs

KVM issues:

  KVM running on 32-bit host on 64-bit CPU passes EM64T flag to guests
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/481274
    Just filed, needs triaging

  kvm/ kernel crash upon installation of guest
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480779
    MMU bug, Marcelo looking

  Sound under KVM requires exclusive access to the sound device
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/477955
    Warren built a fix, need to explore PA option

  SDL graphics is wrongly decoding keycode symbols
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/478976
    Patch needs sending upstream

  Include kvm_stat for debugging
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480942

Two netdev/slub related oops in 2.6.29:

  virtio_net oops during rawhide guest install on rawhide host
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480822

  rtl8139 oops while installing rawhide/x86_64 guest on F-10/x86_64 host
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480850

A good number of libvirt etc. bugs were triaged/closed this week, some
of the remaining interesting ones:

  Running KVM guests as a normal user
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/481260
    Lots involved here, will be split out into separate bugs

  Virtual network won't work until restart
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/467687
    aka. who's freaking loading /etc/sysctl.conf?

  virt-install doesn't know to use virtio for RHEL5.3
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/477752

  dnsmasq DNS returns 127.0.0.1 for lookup of host
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/470391

Xen pv_ops issues:

  f10 x86_64 xen guests fail to boot on f8 host (NX issue)
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/480880

  anaconda installs the wrong kernel for i686 xen guests
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/470905