[fedora-virt] best Fedora virtualization

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 08:33:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 02:31:45PM -0400, Rich Mahn wrote:
> RuntimeError: could not open display

You need to make sure your $DISPLAY variable is passed when you become
root.  Or just run virt-manager as normal user - it's designed to use
PolicyKit to acquire the right permissions.

> 2.  virsh seems to work as root.  It lists the domains, anyhow.
>
> 3.  When I try to create a new domain sometimes it looks like it is
>     working until it is actually supposed to start.  Then nothing
>     seems to happen.  I don't know what processes to look for via
>     'ps', but I suspect whatever started died almost immediately.
>     NOTE: this is what happens if I don't specify any virtual disk
>     storge.

qemu prevents domains from starting without storage.

> 4.  Creating exactly the same domain with virtual disk storage, when
>     it tries to create the domain I get the popup error "Unable to compelte
>     install:  internal error Domain <mydomainname> didn't show up."
>     The detail of the error is this:

Look at the log file (/var/log/libvirt/qemu IIRC).

> 5.  For the first case described in 3 above, the virt-manager shows the
>     domain as running.  virsh also shows it as running.  However, if I
>     try to terminate it, shut it down, or whatever (even restart later),
>     I get this error:
[more bugs elided]

The libvirt which was in F11-Preview was really broken.  Upgrade to
the new version in updates-testing and reboot to fix everything.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/