Re: [fedora-virt] networking in virtual machines using libvirt tools

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 15:01 -0400, Rich Mahn wrote:
> I am trying to set up a virtual machine that has a routable IP address
> on the same subnet (and physically the same ethernet card) as the host
> machine, running f11 on the host.
>
> Using virsh and related, I can easily set up the network on the VM as
> a natted IP with dhcp.  This is taken care of in the defaults for
> virt-manager.  I can also set up, (but not quite as easily) the
> network the way I want on a CentOS/XEN host.  Unfortunately CentOS
> doesn't have a number of other features that I want/need.
>
> So...is there some XML snippet I can add to the domain that will
> do what I want automatically?  Or is there a script (or maybe I need
> to write one) that can be invoked to set up the interfaces?
>
> I would certainly be appreciative to get some pointers on how to proceed.
>
> To make what I want a little clearer:
>
> My host has a routable IP address such as 123.45.67.89.  I want my
> VM to have the routable IP address 123.45.67.90.

Have you seen this?

  http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging

Unless I misunderstand, all you need to do is create a bridge for the
interface in the host, connect the guest's network backend in the host
and statically configure the guest's interface with that IP address.

Cheers,
Mark.