[fedora-virt] libguestfs under Debian / Ubuntu

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 10:18:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:51:09AM +0200, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> OK I see now. I would wish that if the configure script is not able to find
> febootstrap, it would fall back into using a pre-cooked generic swiss army
> knife image file instead. That would make libguestfs pretty trivial to
> package for our distro or others, without needing to package yum and
> febootstrap etc.

In one sense we do offer that.  You can go to Koji[1], download the
latest build from here:

  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8391

and extract the appliance directly from those RPMs.  (This can even be
automated because Koji has an XML-RPC interface).

  rpm2cpio libguestfs-<version>.rpm | cpio -id

The appliance is the two files found in usr/lib{,64}/guestfs/*

However most Linux distros have strict rules about building from
source, so this isn't an appropriate method for them.

Rich.

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html