[fedora-virt] Is this normal?

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Fri Jun 12 17:59:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 01:20:20PM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I have my newly installed fedora 11 x86_64 system on an Intel
> Core 2 Duo with virtualization hardware support, so I thought
> I'd give KVM a whirl.
>
> I started virt-manager as root, defined a new machine which
> I made be an i686 and pointed at the Fedora 11 i386 DVD iso
> image. I also told it to allocate space immediately for a 12GB
> image file.

Why are you using ix86 on x86_64? KVM can't make 32bit systems on 64bit and
vice versa yet.

But you can install 32bit OS on 64bit guest. Only leave default architecture
settings. If you change defaults, KVM virtualization is automatically
replaced by qemu, which can emulate different architectures, but has no
hardware acceleration support.

> It has now been running anaconda's cylon eyeball format
> progress bar for about an hour.
>
> How long should it take to format the silly disk image?

No comment. :-)

		SAL