[fedora-virt] Re: RFC: libosinfo: Library for virt OS/distro metadata 3

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 15:09:56 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 06:50:02PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> The public API looks like:
>>
>> /**
>>  * Values stored in the OS dictionary
>>  */
>> enum _os_value_type {
>>     OS_VALUE_NAME = 1,          /** Human readable family/distro... name */
>>     OS_VALUE_MEDIA_INSTALL_URL, /** URL to an install tree */
>> };
>> typedef enum _os_value_type os_value_t;
>>
>> int     os_init();
>> void    os_close();
>>
>> int     os_find_families        (char ***list);
>> int     os_find_distros         (const char *parent_id, char ***list);
>> int     os_find_releases        (const char *parent_id, char ***list);
>> int     os_find_updates         (const char *parent_id, char ***list);
>>
>> int     os_lookup_value         (os_value_t value_type,
>>                                  const char *os_id,
>>                                  char **value);
>>
>> The unique identifier for each distro is its 'id', which is a simple human
>> readable string, similar to values we use for virt-install --os-variant today.
>
> As John suggested, I think we'd be safer having opaque structs for the
> conceptual objects. One for the library itself, and another for an OS
> distro.
>
> Perhaps have an
>
>    'os_info_t'    as a handle for a library itself returned by os_init
>    'os_distro_t'  as a handle for a single OS distro instance
>

>     os_info_t os_info_new()
>     os_info_init(os_info_t *info, char *uri);   /* loads the XML data */

Sounds good, though why have a separate os_info_new()? And I'd rather
have a separate API for initializing from a file, since that should be
uncommon enough that we don't need to force uri=NULL on most users.

int os_info_init(os_info_t **info)
int os_info_init_from_uri(os_info_t **info, char *uri)

Though it's a minor distinction for now.

> For OS distros I think we need APIs to:
>
>  - List all OS distros
>  - Find OS distros, matching a specific set of properties

What uses do you have in mind for this? Being able to say e.g. 'all
distros that support xen PV for IA64'?

How do you think an API call would look?

>  - Read a property from an OS distro
>  - Read all properties from an OS distro

Why would an API user want to do this? I don't see why we would need to
enable this specifically, rather than make the user do this iteratively.

>  - List unique values for a property across all distros

Not sure I fully understand this. Why would a user want this?

>> The user will ask the API for available families/distros/releases/updates,
>> which will return a list of ids. We then pass an id to os_lookup_value to
>> actually retrieve data. The family/distro/... separation will likely be
>> removed pretty soon, in favor of an arbitrary hierarchy, where every OS
>> can have child OSes: no doubt hardcoding the family/distro/... split would
>> come back to bite us in the ass.
>
> I agree, the fixed hierarchy I describe really doesn't seem very nice
> looking back on it. The names I gave them are rather contrived and only
> really map nicely onto RHEL/Fedora release process. I think we're better
> off being more flexible and allowing for arbitrary relationships in the
> data files and API. I don't think we neccessarily want to force a single
> rooted tree structure here. The key important factor with the hierarchy
> is the concept of sharing metadata.
>
> I think we should take a hint from the way RDF works and define the API
> and XML format as a flat list, but allow relationships to be defined,
> and also allow tagging.
>
>  - Flat list of OS distros with their full name,  as defined by their
>    vendor/distributor
>
>      "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7"
>      "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0"
>      "Fedora 10"
>      "Fedora 10"
>      "Debian Sarge"
>
>  - A 'derived' property. Allows derived distros to declare
>     they should inherit metdata (eg Scientific Linux derives from
>     RHEL)
>
>  - A 'clone' property. Allows functionally identical rebuilds
>    to declare they use exactly same metadata. (eg CentOS / RHEL)
>
>  - A 'upgrades' property. Allows to indicate 'Fedora 11' is the
>    release following on from 'Fedora 10'.
>
>  - A 'publisher' property to give name of entity producing the
>    distro eg  'Fedora Project', 'Red Hat', 'Microsoft'
>
>  - A 'kernel type' and 'kernel version' property, eg 'linux'
>    and '2.6.26'.
>

> Application UI might simulate a hierarchy by using the 'publisher'
> property at first level, and then filtering the flat list of OS
> distros at the 2nd level according to selected publisher. This
> satisfies the key 'UI' reason for the hierarchy. The 'derived'
> and 'clone'  allow for inheritance of metadata.

I like this idea: certainly will give more flexibility.

> [...]
>>
>> - How do we expect apps to list OS choices? Currently, virt-manager lists
>>   type (linux, windows, unix, etc.) and associated distros (Fedora 8, RHEL4,
>>   Debian Lenny, etc.). The linux/windows/unix info isn't represented in the
>>   xml (should it be?) so the best way seems to be:
>>
>>   Distro
>>     --> Release
>>           --> Update
>>
>>   Ex.
>>
>>   RHEL
>>     -> RHEL5
>>         -> 5.0
>>            5.1
>>            5.2
>>
>>   If we do away with the family/distro/... distinction, the user won't have
>>   much choice in the matter, but the 'family' concept (e.g. value of
>>   'Red Hat') isn't very useful to expose to a user.
>
> We should try to avoid forcing one representation onto apps. I think the
> flat OS list + sets of properties will allow apps to build a variety of
> UI models for this, either search based, tree based or filter based.
>
>> - How should we handle derivatives like Scientific Linux + CentOS: should we
>>   expect users to understand they are based on RHEL, or give them explicit
>>   IDs?
>
> They need explicit IDs, since they have unique download URLs that have
> to be stored. The 'clone' and 'derived' properties will allow us to avoid
> duplicating other metadata, and also allow apps to show/hide clones as
> needed.
>
>> - Querying for device values (supported buses, models, etc.). Dan's original
>>   proposal talks about this; to recommend a default with the best chance of
>>   actually working, we need to know:
>>
>>   - OS being installed
>>   - Virt type ('hvm' vs. 'xen')
>>   - Guest Architecture (i386, x86_64, ...)
>>   - Hypervisor (kvm, qemu, xen, vbox, ...)
>>   - Hypervisor version
>>   - Libvirt version
>>
>>   We would need to find the intersection of what the OS, the hypervisor,
>>   and libvirt support, and return what we decide is the best choice.
>>
>>   How to expose this in the API? We could simply have one long function
>>
>>   os_lookup_device_value(char *os_id, char *virt_type, char *arch, ...)
>>
>>   It works, but its pretty tedious, and I'm afraid that we would need
>>   even more info to make a correct choice in the future, and the above
>>   isn't flexible. We may also need some of the above info for other values
>>   (ACPI/APIC settings, returning a proper install url may depend on arch).
>>   Any suggestions?
>
> The more I think about this, the more I think we should avoid any specific
> named attributes in the API. Supported devices are just other types of
> property we can associated with a distro, in addition to ones I already
> listed earlier. This could be useful in the UI too, for example, if you
> know the hypervisor requires support for 'Xen paravirt disk', then when
> browsing OS, you can filter on this property just as you would with the

If the app already knows their hypervisor requires 'Xen paravirt disk',
the above is fine, and we should facilitate filtering like that. However
I would like osinfo to save the user from having to know those details:
they should just be able to say 'I'm using xenpv on i386 for xen 1.2.3
and libvirt 4.5.6 with distro fedora10' and osinfo can return the
required info. So I still don't see how to solve the above problem.

Let's say we are installing winxp on qemu via libvirt: we want to know
the recommended sound device model:

winxp prefers ac97, es1370
qemu supports es1370, if >= 0.10.0, supports ac97
libvirt supports es1370, if >= 0.6.0 supports ac97

How do we solve this via the API?

>> - os_init and os_close: Any better ideas for this? os_init just parses the
>>   xml document, os_close frees it. We could run os_init with the first API
>>   call, but I think that makes it less clear that the user would then
>>   need to call os_close().
>
> I think its good to keep the initializer explicit, and if you add an
> opaque type representing a handle to the library, this will force apps
> to caller it and track it.

Sounds good.

Thanks a bunch!

- Cole