[fedora-virt] [ANNOUNCE] New release virt-manager 0.7.0

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Fri Mar 13 17:55:11 UTC 2009

Hello,

  thank you for positive reply.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:45:56PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> >   Starting an domain starts my serial console owned by root and is not
> > accesssible from virt-manager (virt-viewer). After changing ownership it's
> > immediatelly available. Is it possible to change this in time of virtual
> > machine creation? (in libvirt or where?)
> >

> Yes, this is one of the drawbacks of not running virt-manager as root:
> since the qemu:///system libvirt connection will launch your guests as
> root, a regular user won't be able to access ptys.
>
> I don't know of a proper solution to it all, other then running the app
> as root or changing the the pty permissions as you did.

Is it known to libvirt, who is user which is starting virtual machine? Can
libvirt change ownership of this pty back to user? Root do not need to be
owner of this file to access it, he can access any file, but user needs.

Another solution can be to change permissions on pty to 660, leave group to
tty or change it to a value defined in libvirtd.conf.

Is it possible?

			SAL