[fedora-virt] Fedora virt status report

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 10:30:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 04:41:53PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> -- GCC Bug --
>
> Another issue that arose was that latest gcc is breaking plain QEMU. A
> patch has been proposed upstream, but it's not in rawhide yet:
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/490512
>      segfault in stw_kernel when qemu is run
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/490509
>      GCC register allocation wrongly using ebp

IMHO, we should apply the patch to Fedora regardless of whether upstream
think its the right long term approach. We need to have i386 qemu binary
functional for release, even if that means carrying a temporary hack of
some kind.

> VNC Authentication
> ==================
>
> Dan Berrange got his VNC SASL authentication patches for QEMU and
> backported them to rawhide.
>
> Testing is welcome for this feature, but you'll need to bug Dan about
> filling in the "How To Test" section of the feature page first :-)

I wrote extensive docs about configuration in the QEMU docs. Unfortunately
they don't publish the docs from 'tip'  SVN online, but they're in the
RPM we build

/usr/share/doc/qemu-0.10/qemu-doc.html

>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtVNCAuth
>
> One problem which has just become apparent is that, in rawhide
> currently, we are shipping a snapshot of kvm-userspace.git which
> includes the SASL patches. However, when upstream KVM release a
> version of kvm-userspace based on qemu-0.10.x, that will not include
> the SASL patches. This means the patches will have to be backported
> again. Three cheers for confusion!

That isn't hard. The patches were merged in upstream QEMU 'tip' immediately
after 0.10.x branched, so they will trivially apply to 0.10.x branch. I'll
be surprised if there's any failed patch hunks.

Daniel