[fedora-virt] P2V and grub bootloader

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 1 12:55:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 02:34:22PM +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> I've rebuilt all of those and installed them:
>
> febootstrap-1.7-1.fc10.1.noarch
> fakechroot-2.9-22.fc10.i386
> fakeroot-1.12.2-21.fc10.i386
> qemu-0.10-15.fc10.i386
>
> Also I'm using the brand-new libguestfs-1.0.18-1.fc11.src.rpm to try to
> rebuild it for f10 but I still get fatal errors:
>
> Lots of these:
> /usr/bin/pod2html: inspector/virt-inspector.pl: unknown pod directive
> 'encoding' in paragraph 5.  ignoring.
> /usr/bin/pod2html: inspector/virt-inspector.pl: cannot resolve
> L<guestfish(1)> in paragraph 44.
> /usr/bin/pod2html: inspector/virt-inspector.pl: cannot resolve
> L<guestfish(1)> in paragraph 69.
> /usr/bin/pod2html: inspector/virt-inspector.pl: cannot resolve
> L<guestfs(3)> in paragraph 139.

Ignore these, they're just documentation warnings.

> Then I see this:
> malloc: 4103338240: Cannot allocate memory
> DB_ENV->set_lk_detect: unknown deadlock detection mode specified
> DB_ENV->txn_stat_print interface requires an environment configured for
> the transaction subsystem

These seem to be from the Python BerkleyDB library.  Trying to
allocate 4 GB of memory, nice one Python.

I don't have a Fedora 10 i386 box to test against, but my suggestion
is to upgrade to the latest Yum (especially) and Python (if possible)
from F11/F12.

This is what I'm using on F11 i386:

$ rpm -q python yum
python-2.6-7.fc11.i586
yum-3.2.22-4.fc11.noarch

[...]
> and finally this:
> chroot: cannot run command `chmod': No such file or directory

This is a consequence of the earlier failure of yum to do anything
useful.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v