Re: [fedora-virt] P2V and grub bootloader

Here's an example where I've used a separate /boot partition and root
is on an LV:

-------------------------------------------------- /tmp/test.sh
#!/bin/sh -

guestfish<<EOF
alloc /tmp/test.img 500MB
run
sfdisk /dev/sda 0 0 0 ",10 ,"

echo Size of /dev/sda1:
blockdev-getsize64 /dev/sda1
echo Size of /dev/sda2:
blockdev-getsize64 /dev/sda2

mkfs ext2 /dev/sda1
pvcreate /dev/sda2
vgcreate VG /dev/sda2
lvcreate LV VG 400M
mkfs ext2 /dev/VG/LV

mount /dev/VG/LV /
mkdir /boot
mount /dev/sda1 /boot

grub-install / /dev/sda

I'm actually using the same setup but I forgot to mount the /boot partition. After doing that grub-install worked fine although I'm not sure why I got the BIOS error message simply because /boot wasn't mounted. Isn't the MBR written to the first sector of the disk and as a result independent of any particular partition? Why would the mounting of a partition have an influence on that? (Of course without the mount grub's boot files get written to the wrong place but that doesn't explain grub complaining about the device layout)

Regards,
  Dennis