[fedora-virt] Virtualization Test Day

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Thu May 7 14:52:54 UTC 2009

----- "Chris Lalancette" <clalance at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dale Bewley wrote:
> > Already been poking![1] But now it's bed time. Hopefully I can do
> some more testing tomorrow.
> >
> > [1]
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Dale/Test_Day:2009-05-07_Virtualization:XenDomU
>
> Thanks a lot for starting in on this!  Quick question about your
> ballooning
> results; did you remember to balloon down the dom0 before trying to
> balloon up
> your guest?  It doesn't do it automatically on when you run the "virsh
> setmem"
> command.

Actually I did not modify the dom0.
Can you take a peek at the discussion page[1]? Perhaps the test case could be clarified a little bit.

Is step 1 run in the dom0?

Is step 2 modifying xend to affect dom0 or a guest config? I assumed the latter but guest configs aren't there anymore.

Just in case, I did try shrinking Domain-0 and testing again.

[root at felix tmp]# virsh dominfo Domain-0
Max memory:     no limit
Used memory:    5181440 kB

[root at felix tmp]# virst setmem Domain-0 $(( 1024 * 3000 ))

[root at felix tmp]# virsh dominfo Domain-0
Max memory:     no limit
Used memory:    3072000 kB

But I could not setmem to a value higher than <maxmem> of the domU config.
 [root at felix tmp]# virsh setmem f11-32 $(( 1024 * 2000 ))
 error: Invalid value of 2048000 for memory size

I could balloon to values between <currentMemory> and <maxmem>, and 'xm list f11-32' would show the expected value, but the guest would not show more than <currentMemory>. So apparently I misunderstood the meaning of that element.

I just tested another domU and I'll update my notes later, but:

* If it's assumed that <currentMemory> should not be used for this test (contrary to what I put on the discusson page), and that you can't balloon a guest beyond <maxmem> then everything works fine. I can shrink and grow below <maxmem> with no issues.

* If it's expected you can balloon to values between <currentMemory> and <maxmem>, then something may be wrong.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA_talk:Testcase_Virtualization_XenDomU_Memory_Ballooning