[fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: Rawhide virt repo for F11 users

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed May 20 13:25:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 13:50 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Here's a (non-scratch) build of the very latest libguestfs for F-11.
> You're gonna love this one -- 14 subpackages for each architecture :-)

Um. You've pushed this to F-11 too, though:

 $> koji latest-pkg dist-f12 --quiet libguestfs
 libguestfs-1.0.27-2.fc12    dist-f12                    rjones
 $> koji latest-pkg dist-f11-updates-candidate --quiet libguestfs
 libguestfs-1.0.27-1.fc11.1  dist-f11-updates-candidate  rjones

The preview repo is for packages we choose not to push to the stable
branch (because we want to avoid regressions) which we would like virt
testers using F-11 to play with.

You could think of it this way - there are different types of users
consuming these packages:

  1) Users who want things to stay stable and who aren't necessarily
     expecting new features until they update to F-12 - these are
     people with just the updates repo enabled

  2) Same as (1) but who are willing to help out testing updates for
     the whole distro in order to catch things before they hit the
     people in category (1) - these people have the updates and
     updates-testing repos enabled

  3) Mostly the same as (1) or (2), but have a specific interest in
     testing new virt features and are willing to deal with virt
     regressions - these people enable the updates, updates-testing and
     preview repos

  4) People who are interested in helping with helping with F-12
     development in general, not just virt - these people run rawhide

Since you're making libguestfs-1.0.27 available to (1) and (2), they'll
naturally be available to (3) too.

i.e. it doesn't need to be in the preview repo, right?

Cheers,
Mark.