[fedora-virt] Successful Compile of libguestfs 1.0.31 in Fedora 11

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 26 15:01:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:56:03PM -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I've been looking at the postings here more closely now that I have a
> Ubuntu guest running, and I decided to compile libguestfs-1.0.31 in
> Fedora 11. It took some time for me to get the dependencies installed.
> Question: what packages do I need for the ruby bindings? What package
> represents rake? How about OCaml bindings -- what packages are needed to
> get it to build?

If you're just trying to get libguestfs to run on Fedora 11, then I
strongly suggest starting off with the packages we are building for
Fedora 11.

You should be able to get them from updates, ie:

  yum --enablerepo=updates install libguestfs guestfish ocaml-libguestfs-devel [etc...]

and if that doesn't work, you can get them from Koji:

  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8391

Select the latest package with '.fc11' in the name.

> When building this file as part of  `make`:
>
> initramfs.fedora-11.x86_64.img
>
> I got an awesome number of errors related to my not being the root user,
> but I assume those errors are okay since I built as an ordinary user.

You'll get a few errors.  Lots of these errors go away if you use the
newest possible version of fakechroot (eg. 2.9-22).

> Also the perl documentation process came up with a large number of
> errors.
>
> After doing `make check` I got this result:
>
> Test boot completed after 10 iterations.
> PASS: test-bootbootboot.sh
> ==================
> All 2 tests passed

That looks very good.

> Am I ready for 'make install' -- is libguestfs built sufficiently well
> for that? Although I would like to get the ruby and OCaml bindings to
> build.

'make install' ought to work.  We never use it because we build RPMs
and install those.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top