Re: [fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

Michael Ansel wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Charles Duffy <charles dyfis net> wrote:
I have a rather large set of RPMs and such on my host I want to install on
my guest using libguestfs. The normal way to do this would be to upload the
package(s), install them, then (optionally) remove the RPMs.

However, I don't particularly want to bloat the qcow2 file with the changes
made via uploading files which are only going to be deleted when no longer
in use. Someday (*sigh*) we'll have 9p-over-virtio support built into qemu;
until then, a few ways to get around this present themselves:

What about setting up a temporary NFS export on the host and mounting
that on the guest? I've done installs using yum/rpm directly from the
NFS mount, eliminating the need to ever copy the RPMs into anything
more than working memory. If network security is an issue, I'm sure
you could use a combination of iptables rules and NFS export options
to limit access to that single box as well (though, I haven't done
that one).
As libguestfs (and the software I'm building with it) runs unprivileged and unattended, an added requirement of NFS server support on the host would mean a pretty massive increase in security exposure and administrative load. (Also, the libguestfs appliance doesn't included nfs-utils at present, and I don't know that NFS works over qemu's SLiRP-based "-net user" mode anyhow).

If I were going to go that route, I'd probably lean towards using qemu's existing SMB server support -- but there would still be changes to the guest needed, making it less than pain-free.

[For the moment, I ended up using squashfs; cramfs, mentioned in my previous email, was a Really Bad Idea on account of the size limitations]