[fedora-virt] Installing kernel packages under libguestfs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 29 11:13:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:50:47AM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade kernel packages via libguestfs -- but grubby and
> mkinitrd don't deal well at all with having a less-than-fully-populated
> /dev, either failing to operate at all or producing an initrd with LVM
> support omitted.
>
> Before I spend too much more time on this one -- any hints or recipes?

Quite probably we need to add more /dev devices.

For reasons unknown, the base filesystem RPM in Red Hat distributions
doesn't set up any device nodes.  'mock' has to do this itself.  We do
the same thing (copying code from 'mock') in make-initramfs.

Can you identify which ones are needed?  Try adding them to the
make-initramfs '/init' script.

As ever, once you get more details open a BZ so we can track this
issue.

Rich.