[fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 29 11:21:31 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:13:05AM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> FTP is widely supported and well understood, and the servers are old,
>> small, self-contained code.  I really think it's better for this, and
>> not just because I once wrote an FTP server ...
>>
> Just to weigh in -- my only concern with FTP is that it's limited in
> what metadata it will transport. ccgfs, for instance, supports full
> POSIX ACLs and xattrs. Certainly, that's overkill for the common use
> cases here -- but maybe something to keep in mind.

In addition to Dan's reply, as long as 'tar' supports it, you should
be able to upload it using the 'tar-in' or 'tgz-in' commands:

  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/guestfs.3.html#guestfs_tgz_in

I have also added support for cramfs & squashfs to the appliance,
which is yet another way to 'get stuff inside' without needing time-
consuming uploads.

Rich.