Re: [fedora-virt] libguestfs best practices: Exposing files from the host for the duration of a session

On May 29, 2009, at 4:10, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

 just use the ssh file transfer protocol?

ssh isn't too widely supported (from programming language libraries).
Does libssh2 even support scp?

libcurl does. On the server side running sshd (and having sftp-server installed) seems pretty manageable.

WebDAV is possible, but it comes down to how much crap it will depend
upon, all of which needs to go into the appliance.

nginx has a reasonable WebDAV implementation and few dependencies IIRC. I don't think WebDAV is worth it though; the only real benefit is that it'd make it easy to make a "browse this disk from your web browser" feature.

FTP is widely supported and well understood, and the servers are old,
small, self-contained code.  I really think it's better for this, and
not just because I once wrote an FTP server ...

As long as it's just host->guest communication I agree, it makes no difference. If it's ever extended to remote host -> guest communication FTP will just bring tears and misery.

 - ask