Re: [fedora-virt] State of KVM paravirtualization

On 10/22/2009 03:39 AM, Giovanni Tirloni wrote:
Hello,

  I'm trying to understand where KVM stands regarding
paravirtualization. I've seen the patches from 2007 by Ingo Molnar
(http://people.redhat.com/mingo/kvm-paravirt-patches/) but couldn't
find anything newer. Are they integrated to the mainstream kernel?

The above is not merged and it still relays on hw-assist.
KVM has pv drivers, pvclock, and some pv mmu (which under perform the standard vt hw).

  The reason I'm looking at that is because I've a server at home which
doesn't have hardware-assisted virtualization support and running qemu
in full virtualization mode is a bit slow. I've tried Xen and it sure
is fast but I would like to experiment with KVM.

There is no plan to support such hardware. Even VMW are moving to this direction. Any new hardware is sold with VT/SVM for the last 2+ years.

Thank you,