Re: [fedora-virt] State of KVM paravirtualization

On 10/22/2009 02:07 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 06:39:01PM -0700, Giovanni Tirloni wrote:
Hello,

  I'm trying to understand where KVM stands regarding
paravirtualization. I've seen the patches from 2007 by Ingo Molnar
(http://people.redhat.com/mingo/kvm-paravirt-patches/) but couldn't
find anything newer. Are they integrated to the mainstream kernel?

  The reason I'm looking at that is because I've a server at home which
doesn't have hardware-assisted virtualization support and running qemu
in full virtualization mode is a bit slow. I've tried Xen and it sure
is fast but I would like to experiment with KVM.

Fortunately, RH will support Xen at least through RHEL 5's EOL.  I'm
sure the company I work at is not alone in having a lot of older but
still good hardware around that is great for Xen even if it's not cared
about by KVM developers so much :)

btw: it's not about care. It's not practical of kvm to implement it. By the time it will work, even your Dell will be old... Also hw-assist virt with nested paging is a killer, it outperforms any PV by any vendor.

(I'm thinking Dell PE 2850's, etc.. perfectly good servers that these
is no reason to toss)

OpenVZ might be a good option for you as well depending on your use
case.

Ray