[fedora-virt] info on save function in virt-manager

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Tue Sep 22 08:10:32 UTC 2009

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> OK, I'll wait for the fix and then I test.
> In the mean time, even when fixed, this implies a shutdown of the VM....
> Can the other kind of approach considered crash-consistent?
>
> The one involving:
> - VM disks are LVs of the host
> - pause VM
> - do an lvm snapshot of the LVs that compose the VM
> - exit VM from pause state (unchek inside virt-manager gui)
> - backup the snapshot LVs

Yes, there was a proposal a while ago for an new API to do this, but it hasn't
been implemented yet.  It's also a bit tricky; while we can do the snapshot like
thing on qcow2 and LVM disks, you can't do it on raw files or partitions, for
instance.  And even then, LVM has limitations with the number of snapshots you
can make.

So while it can be done, it will probably be a bit of time before we have
something implemented.

--
Chris Lalancette