Re: [fedora-virt] info on save function in virt-manager

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 10:05 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> > Yeah, I think there's a bug currently in the code.  I believe markmc
> has
> > recently ported that patch back, though, so upgrading to a newer
> version
> > (when
> > he pushes it) should fix the bug.
> >
> > --
> > Chris Lalancette
> >

> OK, I'll wait for the fix and then I test.

I think the fix Chris means is in libvirt-0.7.1-5

Cheers,
Mark.

I confirm that with that version of libvirt I'm able to save my VM (or at least the command completes, not tried yet to restore '-)
Inside the data file saved I can see that there is also the xml config for the guest embedded ....
As the VM is killed at the end of the save, can I then
- copy the disk(s) of the VM to another host
- copy the save file to another host
- restore the save on that secondary host based on the fact that it retains the same config?

At this time, trying to restore on another host that has not the same storage poool config gives this:
Error restoring domain '/mnt/rhel54_x86_64': internal error unable to start guest: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/vg_qemu01/rhel53_64

and in details window:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/manager.py", line 458, in restore_saved_callback
    newconn.restore(file_to_load)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 642, in restore
    self.vmm.restore(frm)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1420, in restore
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainRestore() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error unable to start guest: qemu: could not open disk image /dev/vg_qemu01/rhel53_64

Supposing I recreate a pool with the same pointers and the hard disk of the VM, are there other limitations/restrictions to restore on another host?