Proposed new website frontpage

Bela Pesics bela.pesics at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:10:55 UTC 2006

Hi,

What display resolution this is created for?
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ClairShaw/ProtoTypes/FrontPage) The
scrollbar is rather annoying here. Personally I prefer frontpages
without scrollbar if it is not a news site.

BTW, are you sure that the best frontpage is a wiki one?

I think that the frontpage has to be a stylish but very small, useful
and informative one.
I mean this prototype seems better, but far from simple and ... :-)
Okay, it is at least as informative as it could be, but a mess.

Here is a kind of basic proposal:

--

header: LOGO, home, about, get fedora, documentation, community,
sitemap, search field

logo: is logo
about: is cool
get fedora: emphasizing
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/Download, boot.iso
documentation: imho http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs is
documentation on documentation  activites , rather than fedora's
documentation, so link it as a subpage, emphasizing
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats, link to kbase(resolved),
link to html man, info pages, http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ,
community: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate,
http://fedoraproject.org/infofeed/, http://fedoraproject.org/people/,
developement - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/#Development,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HelpWanted etc., wiki.fedoraproject.org
sitemap: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SiteMap, could give some hint
for newbies, how to find there way in fedora wiki universe, that is
also a very nice are to overview the site for its creators

If we can't get rid of the sidebar this frontpage menu stuff could go
there and the header menu can be forgotten. I prefer top header +
custom sidebars for each item + wiki editing tools after login.

?

Bela "Excuses"