Topic Names in Wiki Translations

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Feb 15 22:54:28 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 13:56, Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

> When translating a Wiki Topic, the translator should create a topic with
> another name (translated to another language), and then include this
> topic->translation to the "LanguageDict" page (for example, FrenchDict).
>
> But since I began to translate, I had to begin changing Wiki links
> within the pages a lot, and as the translations grow, this becomes very
> difficult to mantain without errors.

The use of translated page names is optional.  If you wish to mirror the names
from the English version, you may do so.  If a translator wishes to put forth
the effort to translate page names, they are welcome to do so.  It isn't hard
to rename a page, but updating the links can take some effort.

> What is the utility of the "LanguageDict" page right now? I thought that
> wiki could translate the links automactically, but I don't know how.
> What's the solution for this? Using the "GetVal" command (as in the
> FedoraMain page), changing all the links within the wiki translated
> pages, or using the english name? (or something else?)

The wiki is only capable of automatically translating the names of built-in
pages.  Pages that are added with unique names cannot be automatically
translated.  This must be done manually or not at all.

The GetVal macro is only used for pulling in definitions, not translations.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/